ABC changing their logo; New graphics coming for ABC owned stations

Briella

The reopen at 11:30 used a properly-cut & edited version of the WABC cut, so the 11am bumper open MIGHT have been a fluke.

40 minutes ago, Vlad said:

Wow! How incredible is that? First time I've ever seen a graphics package done in mid-air haha. And of course, classic LA California style,  they changed their graphics in the midst of a police chase, ha! Classic move by KABC hahaha. Looks really nice! Though very similar to their big sister here on the east coast now with the darker blues. I was kinda hoping they'd keep their Pacific Blue / Light Blue or yellow color from their previous package. But nonetheless looks really nice! I wonder if they kept the opens and the themes the same? I guess eventually someone will capture it and we can do a full assessment. :)

Here is a quick video from YouTube with the first intro on the new package. They've replaced their package with the WABC bumper theme. So interesting! Was hoping they'd keep their current theme, I guess we'll have to see how the rest of the day goes with the opens. Looks solid though!

The fact they introduced it while in a police chase is so Los Angeles.

Also, that graphics are really AMAZING.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JTT said:

I wonder why with all the stations, the main 2 colors that I see during their newscast are blue and white with the graphics.  Why is that?

No offense, but looks like WABC.  I personally liked the previous package colors making the station more unique.  

• Like 1

I’m going to miss the “California Look.”

KABC was polished and bright, KFSN got the discount look since the font styles never matched, then later adopted the KGO “LIVE” bug by making it bigger than KABC’s version.

KGO had the best color execution keeping it neutral (Royal Blue, Grey and Black)

it was simple package that I wished that rolled out to the station group, it was pretty much nothing extravagant, easy to read and just a plain wallpaper with diagonal lines that would revolve looking like a cash register belt, no flashy animations and sweeping effects that we see now with all these boxes and large lower thirds that they adapted from WPVI and WABC.

the weather graphics varied with KABC, KGO and KFSN, they could’ve done better but I do like the new weather graphics now that they are using.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NowBergen said:

No offense, but looks like WABC.  I personally liked the previous package colors making the station more unique.  

Yeah aside from the occasional yellow elements from their previous, it essentially looks like WABC and WLS with the predominant blue. I'm bummed though that have switched to using the Eyewitness News Series 4 (in use since 1999) departing away from the New Generation Eyewitness News package from their newer 2012 theme that was designed for them, at least for the 11 am show. So a bit of a step down in the music sense but we'll have to see how the other broadcasts sound to see if they will use more of the package. KABC has always been known to use more of the package than WABC. 

I wish they kept their "baby blue" colors though. It set them apart and individualized them. Thats the what will surely be missed. Their outgoing package, while a bit dated was a solid package as well. But this one looks great too! Guess we'll have to get used to it! But today definitely marks the end of an era of individualism I guess for the ABC O&Os. Maybe its more cost effective to keep it all individualized in that way.

Just watched more of the 11:00 am broadcast and omg the music, it is essentially WABC. I almost thought I was watching Eyewitness News in New York for a bit lol. That's a bit of a let down for me. They deviated from their iconic Eyewitness News signature to WABC's version. I know the average viewer wont notice or even care. But they could've at least keep their previous music. Was it too challenging to work their newer cuts into this new graphics package? Or perhaps its temporary till they work the former music in? Looks like a done deal though to me.

Maybe their rationale is for the two largest O&O flagships in the biggest markets to have a similar on-air look and feel for consistency purposes like how KNBC and WNBC are and pretty much all of the O&Os.

For me its a bit of a let down in terms of music though.. graphics are fantastic, but I miss the New Generation Eyewitness News theme it was way more fitting for them and SoCal in general. That was my big fear that they would change the music and they did... The New York EWN cut and signature doesn't work in my opinion for LA, feels out of place.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Vlad
  • Sad 1

I not gonna lie I was a little let down. I like their old theme, maybe perhaps they had an audio problem and forgot to roll out the music theme. I know at the beginning they were having some audio problems. The breaking news theme was cut off a little. 

• Sad 2

I was very shocked to see the new news graphics come this quick after a month or so of the weather graphics but I am disappointed that they got rid of their 2012 music package that was made for them only until KTRK started to use the midday theme.

The WABC theme does not fit the Los Angeles area because SoCal is known to be more relaxed but it is market number #2 and there is always something urgent going on. I don’t know if the early morning opening theme is going to stay the same or not so we will see.

• Sad 2

Here are some more clips from FATV, posted on YouTube. 

The graphics are stellar, as expected, but the only gripe I have is just the music.. I'm grieving the loss of the NG Eyewitness News music, their adoption of the WABC theme and signature is just so unsettling for me I don't know why. I feel like it doesn't fit for them, because the theme is so New York and its been used here for all of these years (20+ years) doesn't seem right for KABC to adopt it. The graphics are awesome, as we all know, but the only thing for me is the theme and music. It's essentially a carbon copy of WABC. The Series 4 theme just theme doesn't suit LA. Did anyone see the morning show? Is it the same Series 4 cut and bumper as well? 

Here's WABC's so we can compare. Notice how WABC's opening cut is a bit different. Same theme but different variation. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 2:51 PM, Vlad said:

Wow! How incredible is that? First time I've ever seen a graphics package done in mid-air haha. And of course, classic LA California style,  they changed their graphics in the midst of a police chase, ha! Classic move by KABC hahaha.

It would've been funnier if the anchor had reacted to the change.

"Annnnd our new graphics just debuted. Is this chase that boring?"

• Haha 1

On 5/21/2024 at 4:49 PM, Vlad said:

Maybe their rationale is for the two largest O&O flagships in the biggest markets to have a similar on-air look and feel for consistency purposes like how KNBC and WNBC are and pretty much all of the O&Os.

That's essentially how it is with any station group outside of O&Os as well-- Sinclair and Tegna are the worst offenders.

• Like 3

On 5/21/2024 at 3:08 PM, JTT said:

I wonder why with all the stations, the main 2 colors that I see during their newscast are blue and white with the graphics.  Why is that?

Seems like that's the point of the theme. If that's the brand they want and they want it (mostly) uniform, that's the reason. 

22 hours ago, Vlad said:

Here are some more clips from FATV, posted on YouTube. 

The graphics are stellar, as expected, but the only gripe I have is just the music.. I'm grieving the loss of the NG Eyewitness News music, their adoption of the WABC theme and signature is just so unsettling for me I don't know why. I feel like it doesn't fit for them, because the theme is so New York and its been used here for all of these years (20+ years) doesn't seem right for KABC to adopt it. The graphics are awesome, as we all know, but the only thing for me is the theme and music. It's essentially a carbon copy of WABC. The Series 4 theme just theme doesn't suit LA. Did anyone see the morning show? Is it the same Series 4 cut and bumper as well? 

Here's WABC's so we can compare. Notice how WABC's opening cut is a bit different. Same theme but different variation. 

Glad to see there are still actual news briefs in those cut-ins. WPVI could try emulating their sister to the north and, I don't know....put some news into the news cut-in. They barely do a weather and traffic update, not even as in-depth as what's seen here, and except in the rarest of circumstances, no actual news headlines whatsoever. 

Posted (edited)

Yeah it's a done deal. They've adopted WABC's style. I guess to be fair KABC's outgoing theme (New Generation 2) that was customized for them by the Gari Media Group was in use since 2012 so just over 10 years.

Original Eyewitness News New Generation Theme (2008 - 2012)

Eyewitness News New Generation 3 or 4? (2012 to 2024)

The final days of their outgoing theme:

Would've been so fitting to see them keep these light blue colors and the music for their new package. That would've really make them stand out more. 

They were also the first station to adopt the original NG theme. In 2008 during the "going HD" era. WABC chose to stick with Series 4 theme they've kept their music since September 1998 (25+ years).

Which is why it's so odd to see palm trees associated with the Series 4 variation in the new KABC open it, seems out of place. If an average joe doesn't pay attention they can easily be mistaken for WABC:

In my opinion the Series 4 theme should've been exclusive to the New York market to solidify both stations unique identity.  The outgoing more upbeat lighter NG theme was more suited for the more chill Los Angeles market. But I digress! I guess I just really miss their outgoing NG cuts and theme lol 😂.  They seem to be having issues with the audio though this morning the closing cut didn't play. Above is the morning show clips from FATV with the WABC theme. 

The graphics also just don't match the light blue nature of the set, they should've just kept the background more of a light blue as well, overall I think KABC rollout of this look is the most lackluster of them all. 

Edited by Vlad
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Vlad said:

If an average joe doesn't pay attention they can easily be mistaken for WABC:

If an average joe doesn't pay attention, they don't know what WABC is.

38 minutes ago, Vlad said:

Would've been so fitting to see them keep these light blue colors and the music for their new package. That would've really make them stand out more.

Stand out more among who? Nobody but us would be watching multiple ABC O&Os at once, and everything outside of the opens are similar enough to the old look that those same average joes won't really notice, so nobody should be confusing them with any of their LA competitors.

As for the shade of blue, that's just what it is. Opportunities to customize the package are based on literally any other accent element that isn't the primary blue pieces. Look at the CBS package, the in-show branded bugs have been seen in blue, red, orange, green, gold, black, and even purple, but the standard lower third doesn't change. Same thing for ABC, but they're blue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Yeah not sure I understand all the bemoaning. Was there confusion on what a station group mandate was? 

It was a pretty flat out rollout pretty straight and basic.

5 hours ago, 24994J said:

Stand out more among who? Nobody but us would be watching multiple ABC O&Os at once, and everything outside of the opens are similar enough to the old look that those same average joes won't really notice, so nobody should be confusing them with any of their LA competitors.

As for the shade of blue, that's just what it is. Opportunities to customize the package are based on literally any other accent element that isn't the primary blue pieces. Look at the CBS package, the in-show branded bugs have been seen in blue, red, orange, green, gold, black, and even purple, but the standard lower third doesn't change. Same thing for ABC, but they're blue.

All of this. 😀 I'm not seeing why it matters how different stations in different markets having the same general look and feel is an issue. Viewers aren't watching out of market news. And for the fraction of a fraction of people who travel to the other city and happen to watch the news there, that has no negative impact. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, 24994J said:

You're right. Valid points, @24994J  

Yeah overall the new look is amazing for KABC the graphics are stellar and spectacular there are still some kinks they gotta fix like the audio in some of the closes and opens also the transitions can be a bit too fast but i'm sure they'll work those out over the coming weeks. I guess when it come to the music theme, on the flipside, when I visit LA, I won't feel too homesick since I'll hear the familiar theme there too. :D And the Angelinos can feel the same when they visit us here in New York ;).

In summary from the colors which can't be changed per the mandate as suggested, and the wild choice to adopt WABC's music, it doesn't change their product and who they are, along with the amazing talent that both stations employ to deliver an excellent news product making them the top news stations in the country. Al Primo is a pioneer in this format of local news delivery and to this date remains successful.

In a way it goes back to the old days when all of the ABC O&O stations were using the Cool Hand Luke and News Series 2000+ theme, in retrospect that is what it is now low-key reminiscent of with KABC/WABC now on the same theme. The two stations in a way are now united and their tenacious spirit can now be felt coast to coast. :)  I've even seen WABC use the "Eyewitness News" titular wordmark that KABC/WLS uses in some of their promos so it is all a shared resource and the days of being unique and individual are behind, as the world becomes more and more connected. Bravo to all the O&Os, overall I think out of all of them, the ABC look is the best!

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

The new opens looks great, but I am very surprised they had Charlie Van Dyke re-do his lines at the open and not just keep reusing his VO like in the previous package (and apparently in Breaking News opens) if they felt the need to continue using him.   His voice sounds so badly degraded, which is a damn tragedy.  He's a legend, and that voice is so incredibly iconic.

Edited by NEPANews
  • Empathetic 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 4:36 PM, NowBergen said:

I agree. This package was an upgrade for the visually stunted WABC but a downgrade for KABC & KGO that already had solid appearences.

I did like that the ABC O&Os despite duplicating ABC 7 Eyewitness News' in multiple cities, let each station still maintain some uniqueness. 

As someone said, the average viewer doesn't care... but us niche crowd comes here to harpe about these things lol. 

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Best implementation of the package:  WPVI-TV - Philadelphia.

Biggest disappointment of the package:  KABC-TV moving to the WABC-TV music package.

Overall, it's a very nice and clean package.  

-- Matt

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1